Our trip to Asia has finally arrived (did I even mention we booked our next vacation, and it’s to Asia?). Oops. Anyway, we leave this weekend, and I’m both nervous and excited. One of the main things about this trip that has me so nervous and excited is the getting there, which consists of flying over the north pole. I mean, how cool!
Most of our week thus far has been spent tying up loose ends at work, and gearing up to pack (because let’s face it, I need to PREPARE myself to pack). This trip marks one of our personal longest flights ever, not to mention, one of the WORLDS longest flights ever – New York to Hong Kong. Really, Hong Kong is just a stop over on our way to Thailand, but we did book a few nights there, so we can spend time seeing the city on our way home. However, we can’t get to these fabulous destinations without suffering through a 16 hour flight (and I say suffering because seriously, what the hell do you do on a plane for THAT long!?). That’s just the flight from New York to Hong Kong, not including our next flight, to Thailand.
I looked at our flight reservations today to ensure all is well, and I noticed our seats were assigned, and that there’s a baby bassinet located in front of us. Ha!
I laughed, because really, what else do I do? I do NOT want to even attempt to deal with that situation, so I called the airline. We considered upgrading to first class, that is, until we heard the $15,000+ price tag. And yes, that’s THREE zeros, and PER PERSON.
Again, I laughed.
The miles program we use is not part of this particular airline we’re flying, so we are sunk on that end too. No chance for even an upgrade. However, I was excited to out find that for only $100 per person more, we can sit in an emergency exit row seat with a ton of leg room.
I booked it, and I am hoping I made the right decision. The extra space in front of us can either be a blessing or a curse. I just want to be comfortable!
Anyway, as I searched for reviews on our new seats, I found out the flight path actually takes us OVER the North Pole.
To me, this is just crazy! The North Pole is a place I never thought I would get to “see” (not that I’m really “seeing” it, just from above), but I will have to keep an eye on the flight map to ensure I look out the window at the right time!
But 16 hours on a plane!? Damn. What the heck am I supposed to do for that long? My ideas are pretty average, if not sub-standard. I can’t seem to find any “great” suggestions.
That’s how I reached the conclusion that this is because there’s nothing good to do. I’ve come up with a top five, and by the looks of it, I need to prepare myself to be bored and uncomfortable. So here we go…
My top 5 things to do on a ridiculously long flight:
1. Take a pill and chill. I’m so high strung about this flight that I’m thinking about calling my doctor. I’m prepared to blast some Justin Timberlake on my iPod, and hope for the most relaxing flight ever – isn’t that an oxymoron?
2. Watch Movies. The in flight entertainment options look decent – so I can watch about a million movies and then we’ll be there. When I think about it that way, it doesn’t sound so bad. Then again, when have I EVER watched that many movies in a row!? It’s not like our flight is over once we get to Hong Kong either. After our layover we hop on a flight to Bangkok. I’m going to be one cranky girl who has no freakin’ clue what day/time it is. Add that to crappy plane food, and it’s probably best if we just don’t speak.
3. Read. I have about a gazillion books on my “to read” list on Goodreads. I’m currently taking suggestions. Maybe one will hold my attention long enough to forget about the less than desirable situation?
4. Get over the fact that I will need to use the plane bathroom more than once. GROSS. Note to self: Prepare to bring LOTS of sanitizer and my favorite smelling lotion. Maybe even slippers? That could help me relax, maybe.
5. Uno. I read this great tip on Pinterest that UNO cards are a fun way to pass the time. Needless to say, you will now find Uno cards in my carryon. I’m desperate.
So… Are we there yet? Anyone have any other suggestions? I’m all ears!