Since getting my GoPro last year I’ve been obsessed! I can’t believe it took me so long to get one, but at the same time I’m happy I waited because I love the Hero4 Silver. It has a touch screen on the back, and I cannot imagine not having it. The biggest word of warning with GoPro’s is that literally have to purchase every little thing, even down lens covers. I’ve purchased them twice now, because I already lost the first set! GoPro, please come out with a cap that attaches to the housing!
Here are the GoPro accessories I’ve found to be the most helpful!
1. The battery life is pretty horrible, so right off the bat you’re going to want a second battery, the dual battery charger, and the wall charger. The wall charger is cool because it comes with adaptors, so it’s travel-friendly.
1. The Handler. I’ve also been through two of these, because I use the crap out of it. When snorkeling especially, people like to use the snorkel or body mounts. I prefer this because you can get much closer.
The Handler floats, so your camera won’t ever sink. It also has a really comfortable grip. I also use this out of water because it’s so easy.
2. The Head Strap + QuickClip. This fits around your head and can even extend around a helmet. For me this accessory is sort of a pain, but necessary for hands free. I’ve used it both on jet ski and ATV. It served its purpose, but was kind of a pain anytime I wanted to turn the camera on/off to preserve the battery life, or change the settings. This is where the remote comes in handy (see below).
3. The Remote. I didn’t have this for the longest time, and as soon as I got it, it made a word of difference.
4. Snorkel Filter. I’m not a professional, so I don’t know the rhyme or reason behind it, but this filter helps maintain the true color of what you’re seeing underwater vs. what appears on the camera. It just clips onto the front of the lens. It really does work. There’s one for shallow water and another for deeper water.
5. Anti-fogging. I run into fogging problem all the time with my regular camera. It’s humid out, or I go from really cold to hot climates, and the lens just FOGS. And it takes FOREVER to de-fog. These are great because you just slide one into the housing and you never have to worry about fogging.