I’m sure you’ve heard of family-friendly business trips, but pet friendly business trips?
I mean, why not? More and more hotels have become pet friendly lately, and I have to say I LOVE THAT! THANK YOU!
We’ve been traveling a lot for work, and our dogs have been in tow! We just had so much fun during our staycation at The Surrey, and our two yorkies were so well behaved, that taking them with has become a no-brainer.
I’ve compiled a short list of things to keep in mind when traveling with your pet:
- Make sure they’re up to date on their shots, and are on flea/tick preventative. I don’t care how well of a hotel brand it is – you just NEVER know!
- Try using a harness instead of a collar/leash. It’s more comforting for them, especially in a foreign place. There’s something about it that makes them feel secure.
- Bring their favorite toy. Seriously, it’s a lifesaver!
- Also bring something of theirs – a favorite blanket, sheet, bed, etc.
- Go to your vet’s office before you leave and get a certificate of health. Most hotels require seeing this when you check in, and even if they don’t it’s still good to have.
- Bring your own treats and food. A lot of pet friendly hotels (especially luxury ones) supply this sort of stuff. However, it’s best to stick with what your dog(s) like and are familiar with. New foods can lead to some messy accidents.
- Keeping with the above, bring wee wee pads and a good stain remover. Hopefully you won’t need either, but it’s good to have for those “just in case” instances!
- Things I also pack: dog shampoo (you never know what dirt/messes they may get into. re: rolling around in dirt in Central Park), nail clippers (my dogs are wimps, and if god forbid something is bothering them it needs to be taken care of NOW). Benadryl. Obviously, consult with your vet first, but in case of any allergic reaction, we always give a tiny bit and it goes away!
- FYI, most hotels charge a flat fee per pet, per room. It’s a cleaning fee, and it’s totally standard. It can range anywhere from $20-$200. However, I don’t think we’ve EVER actually been charged it.
We’ve been on so many trips recently, here’s a photo dump of my crazy little guys! Enjoy!