Today I’m sharing my top 5 travel must-haves!
1. When it comes to traveling, I’m more about the actual destination, and could do without the whole getting there aspect. Airports are daunting, being stuck in the car can feel claustrophobic, and train rides seem endless. I also can’t comfortably sleep with strangers around, and when I try to relax with plane pillow or something, I hear every little breath, leg bounce, laugh, sound, you name it. So annoying! Which is why I LOVE this plane pillow – the Ostrich Pillow – because it’s SUPER lightweight, covers my eyes AND ears, and is just SO SOFT. It fits well over headphones, and really makes for a more comfortable flying experience. Plus, you can keep it in a large ziplock bag or something so it doesn’t get dirty. That’s one thing I HATE about the typical plane pillows – they are so large and bulky and it’s really hard to store them!
2. I am legit obsessed with Marpac SleepMate products! They have been around for YEARS. I was born in ’85, and ever since I was a newborn my mom would turn on a sound machine to help me sleep. I never grew out if it. My Marpac sound machine even came to college with me. I literally cannot fall asleep without it. The Dohm machines are bulky, and aren’t great for travel. Trust me, I used to bring mine everywhere, and my biggest issue abroad was converting the watts and finding the right plugs. In fact, when in Spain, I blew out my sound machine. DEVASTATING. Luckily, it was towards the end of our trip and I was able to order a new one that was waiting for me when I got home, but those two or three nights without it were HORRIBLE, and no white noise app could compare. I think my most favorite discovery ever was the $75 Marsona version. It’s small, lightweight, comes with a travel case, and a bunch of different International plugs. Now, I never go anywhere overnight without it.
(The above version has been replaced with this):
3. I’m all about packing light, although sadly, that never seems to be the case. I end up having a ton of “makeup” bags, although only one of them actually has makeup in it. The rest are full of things like medicine, deodorant, and other bathroom items. I always say I want to take 1 or 2 of these small bags, but end up with like 5. Recently though, I was able to at least downsize my actual makeup bag, thanks to these travel makeup brushes from Sephora for $56 (Edit: they are now onsale for $29!). They are seriously amazing, and I love the magnetic attachment! The best thing is they come in a really awesome (small) case, and I can fit all my makeup in there as well!
4. I always make sure I have Talkatone credit. This is sort of a followup to this post I did back in 2013. The app has changed a lot since then, but I still use it whenever we go away (although less nowadays since Apple has WiFi calling and FaceTime, and my Mom finally got on that bandwagon too). Still, you can’t beat 60 minutes for .99 as long as you’re calling US number to US number (even if you’re not in the US), and when not abroad – sometimes, if I have crappy cell service, I’ll hop on WiFi and use the app. Word of warning though, do be sure to use your number once a month in order to keep it, or they deduct an insane amount of credits.
5. I never go anywhere without my planning sheets, and it’s for sure one of my top travel must-haves! I make one for every trip because I’m insane. No two are alike – sometimes it’s only a few pages with just our itinerary and confirmation numbers, and maybe a map or something, and other times it’s MANY pages, complete with super obsessive compulsive-like detailed notes, cost estimates, etc.
Looking for more travel must-haves? Don’t forget to check out my post on my favorite GoPro accessories here!